Little bits and pieces

Little bits and pieces
these squares finish at 1" each

Sunday, January 29, 2012

My Valentine's Day table topper

I'm almost finished with my table topper for Valentine's day.  I just need to add the binding.  This is the first quilt I've actually made for myself!!  I've been quilting for about 8 years but have given all my quilts away until now.  Last year my DH gave me an Accuquilt Go cutter for my birthday.  I used the Feathers die and fusible web.  I'm very happy with the way it's turned out.

I learned a few lessons. 


#1 - I love my Accuquilt and it's the only way to go.  But next time I'll use WASH AWAY stabilizer when I do the buttonhole stitching.  It was a PAIN to pull out all the little pieces.
But I do love that heart!

#2 - When quilting with a cross-hatch pattern, actually MARK the quilt.  I used that little do-hicky that attaches to the back of my walking foot and did not use a continuous line of stitching.  Don't ask me why, I really don't know myself except that I didn't mark the quilt and can only use the do hicky on the right side, so I didn't really have a way of turning the quilt to sew on the left side.  This left me with LOTS of starts and stops.  And because I didn't mark it, the cross-hatching is little wonky.  It's not enough to bug me, but I won't do that again.

#3 - When you start your quilting, CHECK THE BACK BEFORE YOU QUILT THE WHOLE THING!!!
It didn't look bad from the front, did it?

See that AWFUL stitching on the back where I stitched my border?  I don't know why it did that.  I didn't change my tension or anything.  Luckily this quilt is only 36" square and it was very easy to rip out because it was such a mess.

It looks much better now.  Well, I'm off to stitch the binding.


No comments:

Post a Comment